Officially in Vietnam!

Bailey here! We’ve been in Vietnam approximately 4 days. Those 4 days have been pretty eventful. We left portland at exactly 2:08 PM on Tuesday June 17th 2014. We went running that morning at leaf erickson. After the run, we went to LoveJoy Bakery for the last time. We packed up our whopping 7 bags and someone drove us to the Portland airport. After doing the normal airport-y stuff, went to the business lounge until our flight was ready to leave.

   I was quite excited to get on the plane because it was business class and it was super fancy. With seats that reclined all the way back, salads, bread and a gourmet main course plus desserts, I was happy. That is, until the jet lag kicked in. A nice flight turned into a restless and exhausting one. 10 grueling hours with no sleep and only watching TV passed by very slowly. I was very happy when we arrived in Tokyo, Japan. The sushi was totally amazing and way better than sushi in America. 

  But I couldn’t stay in Japan forever. We got on the Vietnam Airlines to fly to Ho Chi Minh City. This airline was not quite as nice but I slept the whole 6 hours so what difference did it really make. When we arrived in Vietnam, it was kind of a blur I was so tired so i’ll just fast forward over that part. 🙂

   That morning I had my first taste of Vietnamese culture. There were motorbikes EVERYWHERE. I didn’t exactly know where I was going.

   Later that day, someone from Residents in Vietnam picked us up for house hunting and touring my new school, BIS (British International School). It was BEAUTIFUL.

  Day 2 did not go as smoothly as day one. On the way to the Metropolis building where my dad will be working, someone on a motorbike stole my moms purse. It had my phone in it. At the Nike Office, people were really nice and they got me a newer phone (iPhone 5s) literally the same day! I was extremely grateful!

  Day 3 was great though! We got up early and went running around the Reunification Palace. We also went to Dim Sum with the Residents in Vietnam guy and his family. Later that night we went to my dad’s boss’ house. The parents went out while the kids stayed in and had pizza. We were watching a movie and I was so jet lagged I fell asleep for 2 hours! We went home and I fell fast asleep.

  On day 4 we went to Pho 2000 for breakfast. We also went to the Ben Tahn Market. It had such cool fish, fruit, and vegetables! We got mango stein, guava, and dragon fruit! We tried to go in the Reunification Palace but it opened at 1 pm and it was only 12. Some guy selling coconuts was swindling us and put the coconuts on my dads shoulder as a joke but then made us buy some. We told him no but he just gave us some anyway. He tried to get us to pay lots of money for it (100,000 dong) but we told him no and got it for half the price. He got kind of pouty but I thought it was funny.


That’s it for now! My parents will probably be posting there experience of the last few days soon!




One thought on “Officially in Vietnam!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s